PRACTICUM IN LANGUAGE
Instructor: Dr. Shadia Yousef Banjar
Office: Teachers’ Building, Office no. 4, EX. 4373
Office Hours: According to schedule; and by appointment.
· LANE 321: Introduction to Linguistics
· LANE 350: Introduction to Translation
The course is designed as a three-hour credit course for bilingual (Arabic-English) level-seven students. It gives the students a chance to practice the knowledge gained during their course of study within a professional setting offering activities related to their field of specialization. The purpose of this course is to prepare the students for the working environment thus students are introduced to various practical skills related to different future careers and they are expected to know how to apply their academic background to their professional training and to develop their professional language and thinking skills.
In a practicum setting, student will learn to:
- Examine theories related to practice
- Think logically
- Choose appropriate goals
- Effectively organize the work setting
- Create reflective, documentable assessment
- Select appropriate resources
- Choose strategies for appropriate reasons
- Evaluate her own work
- Write curriculum vitae, different types of formal letters and memo, notes, reports, etc.
- Edit different pieces of writing
- dentify the various teaching skills that enable a person to be a good teacher
- Write a lesson plan
- Improve teaching skills
- Design a syllabus
- Write good tests and exams
- Explore the different skills and techniques of translation
- Know how to prepare for an interview
By the end of this course students should have achieved the following outcomes:
- Produce good curriculum vitae, different types of formal letters and memo, notes, reports, etc.
- Differentiate between the various forms of writings relevant to various careers
- Differentiate between teaching methods
- Design a good syllabus
- Write good tests and exams
- Use the different translation skills to adequately translate between the two languages
- Conduct a successful interview
Class Participation, Assignments, Presentations, Quizzes, and Exams (Midterm & Final).
- Notes are available at Al-Khawarizmi Bookstore.
Bell, Roger T. Translation and Translating. Longman Group UK Ltd. 1994.
Jack C. Richards and Theodore S. Rodgers. Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching. 2nd ed.,Cambridge University Press.2001.
Kussmaul, Paul. Training the Translator. John Benjamins Publishing Co. 1995.
Marianne Celce-Murcia. Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language. Newbury House Publishers, Inc., 1992.
Parrott, Martin. Grammar for English Language Teachers. Cambridge University Press.2008.
Swan, Michael. Practical English Usage. (3rd.ed.)Oxford Univ. Press. London, 2009.
Thomson, A. J.& A.V. Martinet: A Practical English Grammar. Oxford University Press, 2009.